My wonderful "Brownie", or "Brown Man" as he was fondly known, passed away on Saturday January 17, 2009. He was Quarter Horse Thoroughbred cross, or as they call them in the horse world an Appendix. The vet had just been out a few days before and we kind of knew that this might be his last winter if he could go that long. Saturday he laid down in the pasture near his buddy "Scarlet", and never was able to get up. His body just too weak to go on. The vet came out with her husband, and David and I tried to get the old guy up to no avail. I had to make that terrible decision to let him go. So the doctor gave him his last two shots and he went peaceful. I was so glad that I got to be there with him, to stroke his head and neck and give him those long goodbye kisses on his muzzle. To those of you who have never had horses, you will probably never understand the relationship between rider and horse. There is an old saying that in a Cowboys lifetime he will have one good horse and one good dog. Will this Cowgirl has been lucky enough to have had both. Brownie never had any thing wrong with him a day in his life. He never had colic or any foot problems. That in itself is very unusual in a horse his age of 28. Most aren't lucky enough to live that long.
He was very bossy to Scarlet. We always had to laugh at him telling her where "they" were going to graze in the pastures. She always relently went along with his daily programs. They were great buddies. It was so sad to see her watch over him all night Saturday. She just stood vigil over him. I think I cried more over that. It was so sad. The vet told us she would understand that he was gone, and she would know what had happened. In the wild, when a horse dies they emit an odor so that the herd knows they are dead, so the herd can move on. Amazing. She is still greaving for him, and I hope that passes soon. She is now nickering to me and she has never done that before. Only Brownie did that.
David and my Stepfather John, buried Brownie here on our farm next to a place that I plan to have a flower garden this coming Spring. This horse meant so much to me, he was a family member, a friend, and I'm glad he will still be close to me.
Cindi
2 comments:
I am so sorry Cindi. The loss of a pet is absolutely awful. You took such wonderful care of him. He was a lucky boy.
Oh Cindi, I'm so sorry. (((HUGS)))
I always said losing a pet is like losing a child....people just don't understand...like my hubby..he was never allowed to have a pet....that's another story for another day......but I loved all my buddies, and I know the pain you are feeling..we just lost our cat...........:(
Hope you are feeling a little better today....he is at peace.
Post a Comment